Monday, June 4, 2007

In the beginning...


So here we are...beginning a summer of eating only local food. At first it seemed like such a simple idea...what's the big deal? There are farmer's markets, a local dairy etc. But then we began talking to people, and they would bring up items that we hadn't thought about finding locally: cooking oil, sour cream, ketchup... Uh oh...what are we doing, I would think... But I still feel like this is more exciting than it is difficult at this point. I think we'll be eating so much fresher, less processed and preserved. I am looking forward to eating food that is more whole, closer to the earth and its natural state, and overall healthier. Maybe we'll even lose a little weight (except for the little guy!)


When Eric and I talked about this, it didn't seem that eating local was a big deal, but as I began to talk to friends about it, it was exciting to realize other people's interest and excitement about the idea. I am now excited not only about the potential eating local has to improve our lives personally, as a family of three, but also to inspire others in the area that this is a "do-able" way to eat...and live. Our journey begins!


No comments: